Saturday, July 5, 2008

THING 8

Just because you can create a slide show with colorful little confetti transitions, doesn't mean you should.

On a different note, take a look at these photos of cabins I took from our lake and decide which is more appealing:

This? Or this?


I hope we have access to this 23 Things site long after the class ends, that the links remain live, etc. etc. There is MUCH here I want to think about using.

One of my living-life-intentionally goals is to help change public perception of what attractive lakeshore looks like. I have been trying to think of a mass media approach without begging newspapers and magazines to run articles and photos of native species at the shoreline of lake homes rather than the lawn, rip rap, and hauled in sand beaches that realtors, suburbanites, landscape contractors, and advertisers seem to favor. I think it's a matter of conditioning, and if enough gorgeous, wild, natural "developed" properties are put before the public as attractive, public perception of how they want to keep their waterfronts will change. At least, I can hope.

I don't think the slide show sites are the best venues, but as I work my way through the list of 23 Things on a Stick, I may think of how to put something together. Permissions are the tedious part! I sought permission from a lake association to use a photo in a slide show, and it took forever. Having published a book, I know the publisher spent longer on permissions than in getting the manuscript from me!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What I have found about the slideshow sites is that they allow you to expand your audience. Instead of only those attending in person, others can see your presentation, and learn from them.