Sunday, July 13, 2008

THING 18


I will not be visiting YouTube anytime soon. (See Thing 3 below.)

However, students ask to show the class a clip from there all the time. Sometimes I do. Then I heard the school policy changed. I guess it's acceptable to StumbleUpon but not to YouTube? I'm a little confused. Substitutes can be a bit out of the loop on policy changes like that. That's one reason why a blog/wiki for substitutes would be so helpful. [I'm all over that idea, so back off.]

Perhaps other subs never consider showing a YouTube video, but I often find them helpful.

Let's say I'm supposed to discuss Book 13 of
The Odyssey. By Book 13, 94% of sophomores have found their shortcuts to the reading assignments, so they haven't read it and are not going to love discussing the next chapter with a substitute.

To put them in the proper frame of mind, I go to YouTube and show them the
15 second summary of the entire epic. Some students will still be daydreaming or talking, but when they hear everybody else roaring in laughter and calling "Show that again!", it snaps them awake. I can ask them to identify the scene from Book 13 in the video, and we're on our way to discussing what the teacher wants us to.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think that is definitely a proper use of Youtube, provided that the video in question did not violate copyright laws!
Last year a staff member embeded clips of a theatrical release on their blog...The fact that the clips were on Youtube illegally did not register with them!