Saturday, July 5, 2008

THING 7

Thing 7 does not interest me personally at all. I don't have the kinds of relationships with people that lead me to want to know when they are online. My daughter and I used IM for about two days and both found it to be an invasion of privacy. Regular e-mail is wonderful. I am not imaginative enough to think of when it would be advantageous for a HS to use IM unless teachers were asked to use it after school for an hour, let's say, to give homework help. But that's what tutors are for!

I am not aware that students at EHS can use e-mail except in special circumstances--exchange students, perhaps, or relatively short term assignments. I know students sometimes ask to use my e-mail, and I
never let them because if it's not against the policy, it certainly is against my standards as a substitute. I suggest they talk to a librarian for that, and they almost never want to do that, so there's my answer, I feel.

I did just review the District's e-mail acceptable use policy re e-mail. Very well spelled-out policy! I didn't look for an IM policy.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Judy,
I didn't "get" sites like Twitter for a long time, until I started following experts in my field. Now not only do I follow them, but the Mars Lander, my church youth group, and Barack Obama, all at 140 characters per "tweet".